Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Today looks to be a good knitting day as I have two meetings scheduled and the wait-in-line for swim lesson signup.

Right now I have 3 official works in progress and I'm swatching for a 4th. They are:

"Shannon" from The Celtic Collection by Alice Starmore. This is a child's cardigan and will be my daughter's Christmas present. I ordered the yarn direct from Scotland at Virtual Yarns. It is gorgeous. As soon as I figure out how to post photos, I'll put up the back, which I've finished. It is a two-headed dragon and a very complex intarsia pattern. Last night, I finished the second of the two front panels, so now all I have left to do are the sleeves and the finishing.

"Fish of Prosperity" from Folk Bags by Vicki Square. This is another Christmas gift for Leah. I've finished one side and plan to cast on for the second side today.

"Ripple Afghan" from Mosaic Magic: Afghans Made Easy by Lily Chin. This is a long-languishing crochet project. It has been sitting in my Lantern Moon basket for months. The yarn is gorgeous -- it's some I bought in Los Ojos, N.M., last spring break from Tierra Wools, a fabulous place. I intended to resume work on it after I finished "Shannon," but last night I started swatching for...

"Midnight Sun" from Scandinavian Knitwear by Alice Starmore. This is the dress and cap on the cover. The book is old (1982) and out of print, but I have it and I want to make this dress for my daughter before she is too big to wear it. I think I have enough leftover "periwinkle" of the Brown Sheep cotton fleece yarn I used for "Lochinver," and it would be very comfortable yarn for the dress.

There's only about 100 more things I want to make right now, so I don't know what I'll cast on for next. I suspect I'll finish the fish bag in a few days, as well as "Shannon," so I'll be ready to start another project. I have some lavendar Brown Sheep cotton fleece that I think would be perfect for a cabled sweater, maybe "Frode" from Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Knits.

So will the afghan ever be resumed? I think so, but I have to confess I was eager to start "Midnight Sun" because I wanted to use the lovely ebony circular needles I bought at the SOAR market a couple of weeks ago.

And speaking of spinning, I have spent a bit of time at the wheel lately. I spun some brown roving I've had sitting around for years, and I plan to try a Navajo ply on that, maybe tomorrow. I learned the Navajo ply at Maggie Casey's plying workshop at SOAR.

Another big item on my to-do list is to scour that Romney fleece I bought in August at the Michigan Fiber Festival. It has been sitting in a bag in my living room ever since.

I won't get it done sitting at the computer, so later!

No comments: