Friday, May 28, 2004

Thanks for the terrific comments from last entry. Dianne, be careful about encouraging me or I'll never get off my soapbox! And Max, you will have an easy time ditching your car in the D.C. area. We started our one-car lifestyle when we lived there in the late 80s-early 90s; if we were to move back, I think it would be much easier to do without a car entirely because the area now has two car sharing operations. Check out FlexCar or ZipCar and you may find you don't need a personal car at all. For out-of-town trips and vacations, on the weekends you can rent a compact car from Enterprise for less than the cost of wear-and-tear on your own vehicle.

For those who don't know about car sharing, it is a membership scheme making cars available in neighborhoods for rent by-the-hour. Learn more and find out if car sharing is available in your town at the CarSharing Network. Ooh, and I see from clicking on the link to Traverse City that I need to send a new message to the network coordinator. Our local group exists only very informally now.

OK, off the soapbox and on to mostly-knitting content.

Knitting readers: if you scroll down to the May 14 entry, I have replaced the cloudy photo of Fjalar with a sunny one.

Thanks to the Traverse City Commission giving bus station opponents unlimited time to speak (which resulted in an 8-hour public hearing spread over two nights), I finished The Rebozo on Monday night:



And the bus station was approved, which was also good news.

In other knitting news, I finally decided to use the gorgeous cashmere yarn I bought at Lost Art's January sale for mittens and a hooded scarf, basically following a pattern in Candace Eisner Strick's Beyond Wool. I have started the scarf, which is now my take-away knitting.

I haven't cast on yet for Audrey. I am hesitating because I'm tempted to make it one size smaller as an incentive to exercise more and eat less.

No comments: